At Griffith Company, we recognize that people are our most valuable resource. We nurture that resource by fostering a work environment that encourages communication, respect and recognition. In this environment, Griffith Company employees flourish, taking their careers to new levels. In addition to offering a 110+ year history of quality, safety and excellence, Griffith Company has a dynamic, exciting and supportive culture where opportunity for growth abounds.
We are looking for a Payroll Clerk for our Office in Bakersfield. The Payroll Clerk is responsible for the weekly processing of union payroll, and the payroll portion of Time and Material billings.
- Checks that all timesheets for assigned divisions are submitted in Track and approved.
- Processes timesheets as they are submitted, reviewed and approved by the PE or PM.
- Keeps payroll logs of all timesheets approved.
- Checks for lunches not taken and correct shift pay.
- Communicates with other payroll clerks regarding shared timesheets.
- Move phase codes as requested by the project engineer.
- Sends greens and audit list to Corporate Union Payroll Specialist by designated time.
- Do a batch tie out to ensure that all hours entered per division are accurate prior to check processing.
- Maintain spreadsheet of jobs worked each week.
- Process the payroll portion of time and material billings.
- Maintain log of foremen breaks & lunches for management.
- Update quantities of labor & equipment in Viewpoint from Track.
- File copies of timecards by job.
- Other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite (Basic Excel and Word)
- Must have ability to communicate effectively with internal branch personnel and all levels of management. Maintain politeness and professionalism with company associates and union employees.
- Conversant with California prevailing wages, Federal Davis Bacon Act, and union fringe benefits
- Well-informed of basic California and Federal labor law
- Familiar with union Master Labor Agreements
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Ability to use critical thinking to resolve daily challenges and analyze data.
- Accurately succeeds under pressure and prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships. Thrives on teamwork.
- Welcomes professional and personal development
- Effective communication
- Critical thinking/problem solving
- Time management/multitasking
- Detail oriented
- Service oriented
- Analytical thinking
1-2 years previous union payroll experience at a General Contractor level.
Some college or associate’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related coursework preferred, but not required.
Most time spent in an indoor office environment
Sitting at a desk for prolonged periods of time
Occasional lifting of files and boxes up to 20 lbs
Pushing/pulling of file cabinets
Extended visual use of a computer screen
Only local candidates will be considered. No relocation assistance will be provided.
Visit us at: www.griffithcompany.net
We are an equal opportunity employer and employee-owned company.